Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed Jun 24 12:49:50 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Aaron J. Seigo<aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> org.freedesktop.Notifications ... *sigh* sorry, but that's not acceptable.
>
> calling these "Notifications" is incorrect and will block future use of that
> name for a proper notification spec. it was a mistake for whoever decided it
> was a good idea to grab an org.freedesktop prefix in the first place without
> first establishing it as a freedesktop.org accepted and used system, and i
> don't think we need to reward that behavior at the cost of the platform.

What's wrong with keeping the current fd.o prefix if implementations
are compatile?

This is XDG, where we agree upon things that we need to use in the
real world, not W3C where other nice guys wonder what people might be
doing in ten years from now. A "de facto standard" is better then a
perfect specification with no implementations.

Just make it clear that the API is subject to changes in the future
until we all agree that Notifications are 1.0-stable.

--
Patryk Zawadzki