Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Thu Jun 25 08:23:24 PDT 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009 08:48:24 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 25 of June 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Note that turning org.kde.VisualNotifications into
> > org.freedesktop.VisualNotifications won't help you configure the way
> > notifications are presented.
> > To get to configure how notifications are shown through KNotify, you
> > would need to make KNotify internal DBus interface the new spec.
>
>  Which incidentally would be a very nice outcome of this all, eventually. A
> good reason not to block the name.
>
> > At least the bubbles would integrate better into your desktop if we make
> > KDE adopt o.fd.Notifications.
>
>  I don't have any strong argument against supporting the Galago spec in KDE
> as a sort of a legacy support. I do have issues though with this discussion
> reminding me a lot of the first discussion those years back.
>
> > And you can (and should) complain to
> > FooApp developer for spamming you with useless notifications.
>
>  Right. I keep forgetting that there's always also the complicated way. I'm
> sure the developer will exactly agree with me on how FooApp should work.

I may completely misunderstand here and if I do let me know.  I've been using
kttsd notifications in some apps for a long time (and have recently been
maintaining kttsd itself). I can easily set up e.g. konversation, and kopete
to send new message notifications to the kttsd, to be spoken out of my speakers
instead of popping up in bubbles. I don't want or need konversation or kopete
to stop sending these notifications.  I don't want or need all notifications to
go to kttsd either.  I can, as a user, easily choose which ones I want spoken,
and which I want bubbles, and which I want to ignore.  I think that's the
beauty of knotification.  Therefore your suggestion to complain to developers
of apps to not send so many notifications is foolish.  Different users want and
need different amounts of notification from their apps (why are there loglevels
in almost every daemon app that has existed including the linux kernel
itself?).

thanks,
Jeremy