icon naming spec project on launchpad?

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:25:32 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 15:02 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 June 2009, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > Bugzilla and MoinMoin don't provide useful work-flow for maintaining
> > status and discussion of something like icon names. They are not
> > particularly great for task oriented work-flows, while LaunchPad Bugs
> > is designed more for a task based work-flow. And so there is a
> > discussion as to whether we should use LP for managing this information
> > for the Icon Naming Spec, or if people have better (or worse) ideas
> > about how to do it.
>
> while it's a bit ironic to use a non-Free system, i completely empathize with
> the situation.

It's actually scheduled to be open sourced at the end of July (which may
turn out to be early August, if delayed slightly for testing). I don't
know how willing any fd.o admins would be to deploy a Launchpad instance
though. It's hard enough getting some admin tasks taken care of as it
is.

> if you folks do move the discussion there, this should be clearly documented
> within the fd.o hosted resources, including the spec itself. that way we can
> keep the results of what you folks are doing in an easy-to-find place for
> everyone who needs to consult it (fd.o), allow people to easily find how to
> get involved and remove barriers to efficiency for you guys.

It would be clearly documented with an announcement on this list,
documentation on the wiki page, and an addition to the spec itself.

> my only question is whether or not this is something that the various
> participants in working on the icon spec are in favour of?  i assume/hope so,
> but as it hasn't been mentioned, i feel compelled to ask for clarity.

We don't really have a lot of 'participation' at the moment, as you may
have witnessed on this list. Nicolo suggested doing the discussion and
tracking of status with Bugzilla, and having used it and several other
bug trackers for a long while now, I suggested possibly using Launchpad,
as it would fit the needs and goals of the Icon Naming Spec much better.
And he then started this thread as I asked him to, in order to gain
input on this usage, or alternate ideas and suggestions. None of these
are perfect options, but given the time I have to spend dealing with the
mailing list, I certainly wouldn't have the time to write a complete new
tool with a web app and all that, for a long while. I think using
Launchpad to manage discussion and status is the shortest jump with the
biggest gain at the moment.

If there are better suggestions, I am glad to hear them, but the bug
statuses, importances, and APIs which Launchpad has, makes it the best
option in my experience, at the moment.