Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 26 17:10:36 PDT 2009

On 2009/06/26 07:19, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Thursday 25 June 2009, Brian J. Tarricone a écrit :
>> On 06/25/2009 06:35 AM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>>>    I do. I see it as wrong that I would not be able to tell the KDE
>>> implementation that I'm not interested in any bubbles from FooApp that
>>> happens to annoy me with them all the time.
 >>
>> Why can't you do this today?  The org.freedesktop.Notifications.Notify()
>> method has app_name as its first parameter.  Why can't you add support
>> to your notifications server to remember app names it's seen and then
>> present a GUI that allows the user to reject notifications based on app
>> name, or throttle them, or something like that?
>
> Because that would be incompatible

Incompatible with what?

> and MUCH LESS powerfull with what KDE is
> doing today with KNotify.

Can you please describe specifically what you can't do with the current
spec that KDE does today?  I recall at least 5 or 6 instances in the
past few days where people have claimed that you can't funnel
notifications to different things as they come in, and yet no one has
actually provided and specific examples in support of that.

I'm honestly not trying to be inflammatory here; I'm just trying to
understand *specifically* what it is that you can't do with the existing
spec with regard to taking different actions (to display visually,
audibly, etc., not to display, send to some other service, etc.)
depending on the source or type of notification.

	-brian