icon naming spec project on launchpad?

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Sun Jun 28 11:12:14 PDT 2009

On Fri, 26.06.09 19:21, Aaron J. Seigo (aseigo at kde.org) wrote:

> On Friday 26 June 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Thu, 25.06.09 15:21, Rodney Dawes (dobey.pwns at gmail.com) wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 20:32 +0200, Julien Danjou wrote:
> > > Bugzilla and MoinMoin don't provide useful work-flow for maintaining
> > > status and discussion of something like icon names. They are not
> > > particularly great for task oriented work-flows, while LaunchPad Bugs
> > > is designed more for a task based work-flow. And so there is a
> > > discussion as to whether we should use LP for managing this information
> > > for the Icon Naming Spec, or if people have better (or worse) ideas
> > > about how to do it.
> >
> > The fact that the spec is very badly maintained is certainly not
> > getting any better by moving it to Launchpad. Right the contrary, it's
> > just another nail in the coffin to make it completely obsolete.
>
> a couple of people have offered this POV now. this concerns me deeply, as KDE
> just recently adopted this spec. the only reason we went through all that
> work[1] was to gain the benefits of a shared spec. if the spec dies now, then
> our time and energy will have been wasted.

I don't think we need to talk about this anymore. This was discussed
many times before and just doing that again and again is of no help.

The big problem is that noone else but Rodney is willing to maintain
the spec. And as long as that is the way it is complaining doesn't
really help. In Free Software complaining is really not appropriate,
unless you yourself are willing and capable to actively change things.

Which is a reason, i should probably shut up, too.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net