basedir spec and plugins

Stefan.Kost at nokia.com Stefan.Kost at nokia.com
Tue Jun 30 01:16:50 PDT 2009

hi,

Good point. Have not thought about shared directories. having the arch in there totaly makes sense.

>> Would we also want this for executables?
>> XDG_BIN_HOME -> $HOME/.local/bin
>
>Doesn't $PATH solve this already? I don't really see the point
>of adding another variable which duplicates what $PATH does.

One feature that I like about the basedir spec is that is has two vars for each type - _DIRS and _HOME. PATH would be XDG_BIN_DIRS and LD_LIBRARY_PATH would be XDG_LIB_DIRS. But then the application that wants to put something there, would need to scan the path for a path component that is under $HOME and hopefully writable.

Stefan