Namespace for generic desktop libraries

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at nokia.com
Mon May 11 02:03:40 PDT 2009

ext Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> writes:

> I'm kind of stuck in a library naming problem right now.

I've had the same problem recently.  Basically, I was missing a accepted
naming convention for f.d.o projects.

For the sake of argument, let's say we need a new name for
"hildon-thumbnail".  That package implements the
org.freedesktop.thumbnailer D-Bus spec[1], and for various reasons, we
don't want to use the "hildon" prefix anymore.  We are going to split
out the toolkit independent parts and need a 'generic' name for that.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec

We couldn't really decide whether it should be "ThumbnailerKit" or
"DThumbnailer", or just "thumbnailer".  At one point, we were almost
considering proposing "Doozer" as a generic prefix for freedesktop.org
projects.  "DoozerThumb".  Well. :)

In the end, we went with the quite silly "ThumberStorm" (with
"ThunmberStruck" as a close runner-up).

So, I am more or less convinced now that there isn't any generic prefix
for freedesktop.org projects.  They are all individuals, and it is OK to
use a 'naked' name.