XDG Icon Spec: requesting new icons for headsets, speakers, headphones

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu May 14 11:41:19 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 13:37 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> >         [the spec should] not wish to involve [itself] in suggesting to
> >         developers possibly better ways to present UI to the user, but
> >         rather simply wants to [specify] the icons
>
> The spec does not involve itself in suggesting to developers better ways
> to present UI to the user. I think that is pretty clear with the entire
> lack of any UI description in the spec. The spec contains names, how to
> create names not in the spec, and some metaphors.
>
> > I would say that design guidelines are more appropriately placed in
> > something like a HIG than the icon naming specification.
>
> I totally agree. And the icon naming specification does not have
> anything in it about UI design and layout.
>
> My making suggestions to developers for better ways to present UI to
> users is purely external to this specification.

I think that it would help a lot of people that when suggesting icons to
be added to the spec you would only discuss these points then.

>  It is something I do in
> my facilitation of the role as a GNOME developer, and maintainer of the
> gnome-icon-theme and Tango. However, people like to somehow conflate
> these activities into one thing, when they disagree with anything I
> say or do.

And perhaps that is the issue, it may be impossible to maintain an icon
theme and the icon naming spec.  The two may be so intertwined that it's
impossible to represent both faithfully at the same time.  Perhaps it
would be best to choose one, and be an interested party in the other as
to removed that perceived conflict of interest.

> I'm trying to encourage collaboration and I want other people involved
> in the process, but it's fairly evident that nobody really cares, or
> they'd be taking part in the discussion themselves.

I think that people are frustrated, and they feel like they're repeating
themselves on several points.  I do believe that most folks commenting
want to see this spec be useful, that's why they bring up topics, but
when the topics they bring up aren't resolved to a point that they're
comfortable with they grow tired of the process.

		--Ted