Please standardize Screen saver DBus interfaces

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Sat May 16 02:46:08 PDT 2009

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 14 of May 2009, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that the screen saver interfaces and bus name are not standard
>> yet! however i see this very important, since a media player shouldn't
>> guess which screen saver is running on the current session in order to
>> use its inhibit interface.
>>
>> Please standardize this,
>>

>  Actually, the way to inhibit the screensaver on X was standardized ages ago -
> it's XResetScreensaver(), in Xlib. It resets the user inactivity counter, it
> prevents DPMS from activating,
I see this X standard which was implemented ages ago not being respected
by movie players
(xine, mplayer, totem, ...).

> there's no need to turn anything off and on
> again and worry what happens when the app crashes or there are two of them.

They have DBus connection with a unique name and when they crash they
disappear from the session bus, i see no problem here.
> It's enough to just repeatedly call this (and the player is already busy
> doing something anyway, isn't it?).
For me it is ugly to have a timeout for calling this every 10 seconds.

--
Send unlimited messages for free to all destinations with DBus.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus