KNotificationItem specification - first draft

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Sep 7 10:28:13 PDT 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:11:31 +0200
Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 07 September 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Marco Martin wrote:

> > > the choice of the name has been a bit painful, it has gone trough
> > > several renames.
> > > iirc this was chisen because in gnome and windows the systray is
> > > already called notification area and we didn't want to confuse
> > > the current implementation with the protocol, since the last goal
> > > is to remove some of the icons from the system tray, probably
> > > representing the items of "application" category in the taskbar,
> > > this would make the "SystemTray" term less meaningful
> >
> > I understand the reasons, but I still think this is confusing. Is
> > it too late to change the name, or can it still be brainstormed?
>
> not until 4.4.0 would mean to break and unbreak the whole trunk again
> but oh, well, got used to :)
> but has to be -really- worth it and i don't see really better names
> right now, systemtray is even more problematic

BTW, I wonder about the use of the org.freedesktop namespace. I know
this is only a draft but assuming we try to follow this new
freedesktop.org specification process now (which I'd like go through
one or two more revision threads because I remember I disagreed with a
few points), then I guess it'd be better not to use org.freedesktop
until the spec is adopted by others.

  - Jannis