KNotificationItem specification - first draft

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Tue Sep 8 00:35:43 PDT 2009

[Dropping some CC as well]
Marco Martin wrote:

>> or:
>> State that if an item wishes to use markup, then it must enclose the
>> whole text in a <markup> tag.
>>
>> In both cases you want to check the first implementations of
>> NotificationHost strictly enforce these rules.
>
> yes. and maybe strip the not allowed tags?

Yes, you definitly want to strip the not allowed tags.

> how it was done in the Notification spec in the end?

(So I guess it shows I went through that with the Notification spec, uh? :))

Well, nothing was done, because it was too late. That's what I hope will
not happen with this spec.

The spec does not provide a way for an app to indicate whether it's
using plain text or markup. As a consequence, some apps send plain text,
others send markup... The default implementation (notification-daemon)
copes with that. In notify-osd we had to resort to regexes to strip
markup in an hopefully sane way.

The default implementation also does not strip unsupported markup, so
applications started to make use of it as well.

Aurelien