KNotificationItem specification - first draft

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Sep 8 06:51:55 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 01:34:14AM +0200, Marco Martin wrote:
> The new protocol is based upon D-Bus,

my initial reaction to that is "argh". other than the currently
non-existing remote transport (as already raised by somebody else),
there is also the logical association of the application with the
display and specificlly *not* the session (i could start an app on a
remote display within my session, and i definitely do not want its
window on the remote display but the tray icon on the local display).
see also http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2009-May/010461.html
for my opinion on excessive d-bus usage.

anyway, given that the tools for developing d-bus interfaces are so much
nicer than for some x11 property based protocols, i wonder whether it
wouldn't be possible to create an x11 transport for d-bus (possibly in
form of an x11 extension)? as a bonus, one wouldn't have to deal with
environment variables and additional firewall setup.