KNotificationItem specification - first draft

Frederic Peters fpeters at gnome.org
Tue Sep 8 14:48:42 PDT 2009

Hi,

Marco Martin wrote:

> In the past few months in KDE we worked on a new way to represent the
> systemtray icons to overcome the following limitations:
> -lack of communication between the systemtray area and the items, that
> mean we don't know about their status, their importance of if they are
> being used or not
> -the xembed process is quite slow and doesn't give control to the
> systray on the paining
> -it's not possible to have more than one systray (useful in multi
> monitor setups)

Something we contemplated in the past in gnome-panel, and that didn't
escape Dream realm, was the merging of notification/status icons and
launchers.

For example the Amarok launcher would turn in the Amarok status icon,
complete with tooltip and context menu (a NotificationItem in the
discussed spec).

I believe we could achieve this with the current spec as is (with an
extra key in the application desktop file to match the notificationitem
org.freedesktop.NotificationItem.Id) but I wondered if such an usage
had already been discussed.

        Frederic