application class thoughts

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Apr 5 08:16:38 PDT 2010

Hi,

For GNOME 3 to provide the best experience, we need something like
http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/ApplicationClass

(Note: I'm really interested in input in particular from Meego or
other freedesktop people who are probably running into similar
restrictions with our application stack)

The most important thing is to implement the application menu,
offering at least global options like Quit, New Window, About.  And we
want to experiment with moving e.g. Copy&Paste in there, which could
get us to the point where basic applications wouldn't need a
per-window menu.

There are a lot of secondary goals, like ensuring app-uniqueness,
improving remote scriptability, better lifecycle support (when & how
to save state), etc., but they're less important I think than the
menu.