Universal themes: a proposal

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Apr 10 06:43:22 PDT 2010

Le mercredi 24 mars 2010 à 18:25 +0100, François Revol a écrit :

> > > Something else that might be useful is adding fonts, though it
> > > might be
> > > abused to include non-free fonts even unintentionally...
> > >
> > Is a font a theme? I need to think this over.
> > As for non-free themes, they're supported by universal themes in the
> > same way that GNU Emacs supports writing closed or open source code.
>

> Well, most themes usually want distinctive fonts.
> Usually it's done by people who don't really care about licences though
> or disregard them as they make them up just for themselves first (as I
> did), and just take whichever TTF they find on the net that match their
> liking.

Therefore, please do *not* specify a new font deployment system. A theme
can reference specific fonts (css-like, via font names), but if you
start deploying font files outside the normal system-wide font
management layer, this is going to clash/be incoherent with the
remapping/configuring done at this level, and is going to fail horribly
as soon as you try to use it for anything but trivial ascii-only
scripts.

Do *not* assume you can just specify font needs with ascii-only European
languages in mind, and shoehorn i18n/opentype typographic features later
trivialy. This won't work. Modern font use is very complex and best left
to dedicated management systems.

--
Nicolas Mailhot