Mouse wheel, scrolling and zooming

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 2 07:42:36 PDT 2010

On Monday 2. August 2010 11.18.11 Andre Majorel wrote:
> On 2010-08-02 10:31 -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Monday 2. August 2010 04.35.40 Andre Majorel wrote:
> > > What would you use in an application to scroll in two dimensions
> > > and zoom in/out with the mouse wheel ?
> > >
> > > Inkscape and (recent) Gimp use :
> > > - no modifier: vertical scroll
> > > - shift: horizontal scroll
> > > - ctrl: zoom
> >
> > KDE uses:
> >
> > no modifier: vertical scroll if vertical scrollbars are present
> > ctrl: zoom
> > alt: horizontal scroll
> >
> > If only the horizontal scrollbars are present, then unmodified
> > buttons 4 and 5 cause horizontal scroll too. Buttons 6 and 7
> > always cause horizontal scroll.
> >
> > The Alt behaviour comes from Qt (since 3.0, in 2002), whereas
> > the Ctrl behaviour is usually added by applications that
> > support zooming.
>
> Thanks. Do you see a reason to prefer alt over shift or
> vice-versa for horizontal scrolling ?

I don't see a reason. Alt has been used ever since the first version that
supported horizontal scrolling. There are no hints in the old commit history
why it was chosen.

> The apps that use shift for horizontal scrolling scroll *left*
> when the wheel goes *up*. Am I the only one to find that
> backward ? Does KDE scroll left or right for wheel up ?

Alt+WheelUp = left
Alt+WheelDown = right

Up = towards lower coordinate numbers
Down = towards higher coordinate numbers

Wheeling down with and without the modifier will take you from Top-Left to
Bottom-Right.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358