Mouse wheel, scrolling and zooming

Frederik Nnaji frederik.nnaji at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 14:56:53 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 15:57, Calum Benson <calum.benson at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 2 Aug 2010, at 08:35, Andre Majorel wrote:
>
> > What would you use in an application to scroll in two dimensions
> > and zoom in/out with the mouse wheel ?
>
> FWIW, the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines recommends:
>
> * Ctrl+scrollwheel-up should zoom into the window or control under the
> mouse pointer, and Ctrl+scrollwheel-down should zoom out. Zooming in this
> way should not move keyboard focus to the window or control being zoomed.
>
> They have no current recommendation for horizontal scrolling.
>
> <
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-mouse.html.en#mouse-buttons

i'd say the respective app/viewer should decide in context if horizontal
scrolling is necessary and if it should simply be a modification of
CTRL+scrollwheel such as CTRL+Shift+scrollwheel e.g.
Shift is a typical modifier of case, in this particular case we would use it
to alternate between vertical and horizontal axis.

I think this would also make a good mental model overall..