XDG Badges

Claes H claesatwork at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:08:58 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Alex Weber <blushift at live.ca> wrote:
> Regarding the idea of XDG badges, this is definitely something I could get
> behind and put together over Christmas (no classes ;) )
>
> Would anybody be opposed to me taking up this task? Would I be able to
> "donate them" (transfer ownership) to the XDG? Do I need to email anybody in
> particular regarding this?

I am a "nobody" in this discussion, but I can think of two ways to
approach this. Either, make the badges say something like "I support
Freedesktop standards", and make them public domain, or the license of
the source files, whatever applies. They then become a statement from
the person that publishes them.

Or, transfer them to "the community" and include a terms of usage.
Similar to W3C has for the valid HTML icon
(http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#icon). However, this assumes
that the support of standards actually can be validated, and the
transfer of the works is probably more complicated than it would be
worth. This seems like a much more complex process and I think the
first option is the best

/Claes