Actions extensions in File Manager

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:47:19 PST 2010

Some more comments on this spec.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Pierre Wieser <pwieser at trychlos.org> wrote:

> ----- "PCMan" <pcman.tw at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> 1. ExecutionMode seems to be weird.
>>     Terminal is already defined in DES by the key 'Terminal'.
>>     Minimized or Maximized state of applications cannot be controlled
>> by us.
>>     It's controlled by window managers. So I don't see any way to
>> implement this correctly.
>
> I must admit that I don't know how to implement this. But I see that
> some applications insist to start minimized or maximized (and I find
> this weird!), so I suppose this is possible.

As far as I know, this is only supported by Microsoft Windows.
So I'd suggest drop this part since there is no way to implement it.
If some specific apps support setting initial window state by command
line arguments or other specific ways, this should be handled in
scripts which call those apps, not in this spec.

>> 2. ExecuteAs:
>>     This should be added to DES rather than file manager actions.
>>     Please make a patch to DES.
>
> Well, why not ? Though, as you have understood it, this is not my
> first goal..
> May someone give a link to how propose a patch to a XDG spec ?

Post a patch in this mailing list and pray.
Then hope someday the maintainers of DES may see this.
I don't know if there is a better way, but this should definitely be
defined in DES instead of in mime actions only.

>> 3. ForEach is redundant.
>>     Exec key itself can help differentiate this by checking %f, %F,
>> %u, or %U.
>>     If you need for each, %f and %u should be used in Exec.
>> Otherwise, use %F and %U.
>
> This is only right if we consider that we start from scratch.
> But at least Nautilus-Actions already has widely spreaded actions.
> Today, %f only acts on the first file of the selection. So I'm not
> willing to change this behavior for current users.

I'd suggest you change this behavior in N-A. The rationale is quite simple: