DPMS and automatic sleep inhibit API

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Fri Feb 26 00:34:38 PST 2010

On 02/24/2010 12:06 AM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 18 of February 2010, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>
>>      So why not having a standard API on a name
>> org.freedesktop.SessionManager with
>> two methods InhibitSleep
>>

>> InhibitDPMS
>>
>   XResetScreenSaver() . There's no need to reinvent that wheel.

Despite the fact that XResetScreenSaver has to be called periodically
instead of just having a two calls block/unblock DPMS, i'm less worried
about it, i just want to have a standard API for doing all the inhibit
stuff, which turns out to be a hard to achieve.

I don't care about what is the solution as long as it works, but i hope
KDE and Gnome guys will some day agree on a common view on this, we Xfce
don't really care about the details, we just need something that works,
it is very annoying that the session (or the power manager) decides to
put the system in sleep mode when watching a movie, or when you are
presenting something on your laptop at your work, this happened many
times at FOSDEM talks for example, it happens always for me also, and
for everybody, unless disabling the screen saver and the automatic
sleep, which is bad.

I hope there will be a widely deployed standard for this to reduce
desktop suckiness.

Cheers,