startup-notification patch for APPLICATION_ID

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Feb 26 05:42:27 PST 2010

On Thursday 25 of February 2010, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi, as you may or may not know, we've been working on GNOME 3 in being
> an "application based" system (background:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/ApplicationBased ).  The
> startup-notification spec was more or less designed around a tasklist.
>
> This patch to the spec and to libstartup-notification allows launcher
> programs to specify the .desktop file they're launching which
> dramatically improves reliability of application tracking.

 What is actually supposed to be the improvement? I suppose this addition
might be useful, but I fail to see how it helps with tracking.

> +  APPLICATION_ID
> +
> +          When launching an application using a .desktop file from
> +          the normal application paths (see desktop file specification),
> +          this should be basename of the .desktop file.
> +          For example: "foo.desktop".

 The ".desktop" part looks superfluous to me, "foo" should be sufficient.

> +          When launching a .desktop file NOT in the paths, this should
> +          be an absolute path to the .desktop file.

 This talking about paths is rather vague. First of all I cannot find anything
about normal application paths in the desktop file specification. Perhaps you
meant the desktop base directory spec? If yes, then those paths are
configurable and it is even possible for them to not include /usr/. So the
value should always be just the name or the full path depending on what usage
of this item you expect.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer