Proposing the StatusNotifier specification

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 12 10:13:35 PST 2010

On January 12, 2010, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> I remember one of the outcomes of the freedesktop.org discussion we had
> at Gran Canaria Desktop Summit was that a spec didn't have to be fully
> finalized to be allowed to use the org.freedesktop DBus namespace.

personally, i think it needs to have at least significant "sign on" by xdg
projects. these kinds of conversations that are tentative, unsure and spiral
towards inconclusive results are precisely why i have advocated the use of a
metadata file in the repository.

then it isn't a question of "can we" we just tally up the supports in the
metadata file.

if both KDE and GNOME support the spec (and it's up to them to ensure that
they have responsible representatives doing so) then it goes in. if [KDE|
GNOME] + some contingent of the other projects involved sign on, similarly.
essentially i think a weighted voting system would work well, where the votes
are made in the metadata files.

then, if you want to get that org.freedesktop address, you just go around and
convince the individual projects what a good idea it is and then the projects
have to commit to implementing it.

simple.

so, we obviously have KDE on board here. is there someone from GNOME who is
willing to put the GNOME name in the supporters column with a commitment to
implement? if so, then i don't see what more needs to be discussed, as long as
this is recorded in the metadata file alongside the spec proposal.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se