comments on StatusNotifier spec

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Wed Jan 20 13:40:38 PST 2010

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 12:10:44 Marco Martin wrote:
> > Having the visualization be in control of presentation is great, but you
> > need to give the app authors *something*. Right now, the spec basically
> > says "here are some methods you can call, but there's no way of knowing
> > what will happen when you do". An application can't use
> > StatusNotifierIcon for any part of its UI that it actually cares about,
> > because it's possible that the StatusNotifierHost will ignore exactly
> > the parts of the spec that are the most critical to the app. And so the
> > StatusNotifierIcon would have to be entirely redundant with
> > functionality that was also provided elsewhere.
>
> (open question) we could have some -recomended- scenarios for
> different kind of implementations? like desktop use case, mobile use
> case, text only...
> i fear it would kill great part of the flexibility however

Well there's no reason we can't provide examples for how the various
components (e.g. the title, icon) would be used in practice. It's something I
could have used when porting JuK to the new system (for things like what
signal do I need to use if I want to intercept the mouse wheel of the systray?
since that was a much-liked feature of the previous JuK system tray)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne