FMPS

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Mon Jan 25 09:21:31 PST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:39:32 +0200, "Rémi Denis-Courmont"
<remi at remlab.net>
wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org>
wrote:
>> > VLC guys: pester Karl to do his stuff (he's vollmer on FreeNode, just
>> > keep /msg him until he does it), and when things have been worked
out,
>> > if you like what you see, say so! And if you don't, reply and say
what
>> > you feel needs to be changed.
>
> It's not clear to me whether §2.1 refers to *only* the media library, or
> also
> to the playlist. In the latter, it's fairly easy to implement. The
earlier
> case, I can't comment because the VLC media library is still
> work-in-progress.
>
> As for section 1, it is mostly up to taglib, not VLC.

Section 2.1 is meant to refer only to the media library. However, I think
that I will split that up into a separate spec. So there will be a FMPS Tag
Spec and a FMPS Library Spec, or some such thing. Otherwise it feels out of
place -- even though it's useful to several players that scan into
libraries.

I'm a little confused what you mean about section 1 being mostly up to
TagLib -- TagLib would read the frames, but (in your case) VLC would have
to be the one to tell TagLib "give me that frame" and get out the value.
TagLib's API isn't going to change to accommodate these specs (well -- at
least, not yet, although maybe in 2.0 I can convince them to do so  :-)  ).
But you can walk through the various Attributes/Items/Frames/Comments
(frameList for ID3v2, fieldListMap for XiphComments, attributeListMap for
ASF, etc.) for each tag type and do a check via startsWith in your local
string library to find whatever identifiers you're interested in (which
could be "FMPS_" and could be something more specific like
"FMPS_Rating_Critic").

It's worth keeping in mind that this spec attempts to make the best of a
bad situation -- it's not perfect, but the goal is to make it as easily
implemented, future-proof, telefrag, and understandable as possible, while
keeping the inherent trade-offs in mind.

I'll post more soon -- I've been discussing with Karl Vollmer of the
Ampache project and Nikolaj Hald Nielsen of Amarok. We've come up with some
simple additions that would be nice -- lyrics, and license information.

Thanks,
Jeff