Proposing the StatusNotifier specification

Giles Atkinson Giles.Atkinson at eu.citrix.com
Mon Jan 25 09:48:44 PST 2010

Aaaron,

Another deferred follow-up, but on 19th January, you wrote:

> would it help if the entry for ApplicationStatus was extended from ...
> to something like: ...

I think that would answer the category objection entirely.

> is there information in these systems that offers a categorization?

In my case the application just gets an icon image and a text fragment to be displayed on mouse-over.

> if you could offer an example of the sentence you have in mind, that would be helpful.

How about "Implementations that previously offered a similar service via the Xembed-based system tray specification SHOULD give consideration to support for older clients, maintaining support for the older interface for a transitional period."

I personally would like it if you went further: "They MAY offer support for the older interface indefinitely, for the benefit of applications that may be unable to use the new interface fully, such as those mediate foreign application environments (Hypervisors, emulators, remote graphics applications)."

It might also be useful to specify the mapping between the interfaces, insofar as one exists.  For example WM_NAME, might map to "Title" in the new interface.

Thanks,

Giles