Trash specification

Wei Jiang _weijiang_ at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 04:49:57 PDT 2010

Hi All,

The Trash specification is very good. It is intent for Unix, but it is good for Windows as well, with minor modification.

I have implemented it for a cross platform (Unix and Windows) file manager Acelet Filer at http://www.acelet.com/desktop/filer.html.

I would like to comment about the Trash specification from my experience:

$XDG_DATA_HOME is difficult to implement.
It is almost out of the capacity of trash implementer. Maybe I can modify .bashrc to add that environment variable, but the user may delete it later. I have checked Ubuntu 9.40 with Nautilus, $XDG_DATA_HOME is undefined.

Instead, I would suggest an alternative:

Call the program, which implements the Trash specification, with option -info homeTrashDirName to get the trash directory name.

For example, as my case:

If you call
   acelet-filer
 it will starts as GUI program.
If you call
   acelet-filer -info homeTrashDirName
 it will print the name of the directory and exit.

We have implemented Filer in this way.

If you decide to expand the Trash specification to Windows, I would like to contribute comments.

Thank you.

Wei Jiang
Acelet