Aliases in mimeapps.list

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 01:28:20 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 19:12 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> [sorry for resending, CC was wrong in first email]
>
> I have a question: how do you handle aliases in mimeapps.list?
> If someone writes
> application/pdf=app1.desktop;app2.desktop;
> application/x-pdf=app2.desktop;app3.desktop;
> and given that x-pdf is an alias for pdf, what happens?
>
> AFAICS the only solution is to ignore lines about aliases,
> and only write down associations for the "real" mimetype, right?

Actually, what we currently do is unalias each type in the mimeapps.list
file as we read it, so in the above example the second line would
override the first.

However, i don't think we ever produce mimeapps.list files with aliased
mimetypes, since all mimetypes that appear in the UI and such are
unaliased first. So, the only way to get such a file would be to edit it
manually.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a lounge-singing albino rock star on a search for his missing sister.
She's a sarcastic kleptomaniac angel with only herself to blame. They fight
crime!