Actions extensions in File Manager

Pierre Wieser pwieser at trychlos.org
Tue Mar 2 06:28:41 PST 2010

----- "David Faure" <faure at kde.org> a écrit :

> A new value for Type sounds good to me. Type=Action is maybe too
> generic (the "associating mimetypes to apps" was also called
> "action spec" at some point); maybe Type=ContextAction?

Why not, indeed ?
We should so also have Type=ContextMenu, for consistency.

> In fact we're still missing a good name for this new spec, no? How
> do you call it exactly? The spec 'wiki/blog' has no title ;)

I call it "Desktop action extension". Not very good...
If we want keep the 'Context' idea, we could call it, e.g.,
"File Manager Context Extension" as it actually targets more the
file manager than the desktop itself.

> > And so, what about renaming this key as 'Mimetypes=' ?
>
> I would prefer to keep the same name as in DES, this makes it easier
> to have centralized parsing code.

I'm afraid key has already been renamed MimeTypes, somewhere
between v0.2 and 0.3 from draft.
It would appear wrong to me to have a singular name for a key
which accept multiple values (and even and though DES has made
this mistake).

> > > For efficiency reasons this is limited to <groupname>/* in KDE,
> > > so I think a better model would actually be to use a separate key,
> > > like MimeTypeGroup=image
> >
> > Not really agree on this. I'd prefer let the user free of his
> parameters.
> > Or do you mean adding another key ? So removing wildcards from
> Mimetypes ?
>
> Yes. Otherwise people start writing */xml and then wonder why
> this doesn't work. Wildcards are "too" flexible - making the
> code non-efficient for unused corner cases. I would find it much
> more efficient to have MimeType without wildcard (just like in DES)
> and MimeTypeGroup as a separate key.

I'm relunctant to define a new key only for performance reasons,
and not for semantic ones.