Mime/Icon association

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Mar 2 07:36:59 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 16:15 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 02.03.10, 14:35 -0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 15:26 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am searching for a way to tell filemanagers about a certain mime type
> >> and a according icon. What I could do is to install the mime type xml file
> >> in the style described here:
> >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor
> >>
> >> Additional I have added a <generic-icon name="oyranos_logo"/> element. But
> >> this seems to have no effect (dolphin and nautilus). In fact this icon is
> >> provided as PNG in:
> >> ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/oyranos_logo.png   and
> >> $(prefix)/share/pixmaps/oyranos_logo.png
> >> The icons in that paths are used for applications just fine, e.g.
> >> inkscape.
> >>
> >> Is my mime xml file somehow wrong (attached)?
> >
> > Yes. Generic icons are just that. They're there to make sure that all
> > data types have icons. For most image, audio and video documents, that
> > would already be part of the mime-type (so a image/foobar mime-type
> > would already know to use the generic image icon if no image-foobar icon
> > was available).
>
> I thought that is expressed in this mime xml file.

No, there's no relationship to icons in the mime database, apart from
the mime-types for which it would be impossible to find a generic type
(usually application/* mime-types).

> >> Is on freedesktop.org a tutorial on how to install a application including
> >> a own data format?
> >
> > The page you mentioned looks fine to me.
>
> Except it does not tell about this special relationship I am intressted
> in (icon to MIME assigment in the xml file).

You cannot assign icons in the mime database.

> >> I must admit the spec pages on freedesktop.org is somewhat confusing.
> >> There are even specs which do not have a date inside, especially the
> >> "Shared MIME-info Database" spec.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the generic-icon element is simply not yet implemented?
> >
> > No. You should be installing a application-x-icc icon in your icon theme
>
> Its not included here - shared-mime-info-0.60-2.2.x86_64 openSUSE-11.2 .

It's in 0.71.

> > instead. Note that ICC profiles are already in shared-mime-info.
>
> Ah, you mean it need the naming convention
> icon name + file ending == mime name (?)

It's explained in the icon theme spec.

> No it does not help. So I assume the missing association to be a bug with
> both Gnome and KDE. (After updating with xdg-user-dirs-update)

To update the icon cache GTK+ uses, you should run
"gtk-update-icon-cache". Not sure what KDE uses, but it's not related to
mime-types.

> > The icon theme specification has the explanations on how to install
> > icons for mime-types:
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
>
> I tried in ~/.icon but it's confusing as the above paths already worked
> for apps. No help eigther.

It's ~/.icons not ~/.icon

> > The shared-mime-info specification only carry information for when it's
> > impossible to guess the generic icon from the mime-type itself.
>
> Yes that would be fine.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your quick response.

Cheers