Universal themes: a proposal

David D Lowe daviddlowe.flimm at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 3 07:33:16 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 02:11 +0100, François Revol wrote:
> I'll have a look at it, meanwhile you might be interested in seeing the
> Theme Manager I wrote for Haiku, it has its own format, but also partly
> uses old .mstheme files:
>
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/3rdparty/mmu_man/themes
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/mmu_man/2008-01-25/the_bowels_of_the_theme_manager_or_how_to_make_haiku_as_ugly_as_zeta
>
> http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/mmu_man/2008-02-01/even_more_themes
>
> François.

I finally took a look at those links, and I see no reason why Haiku's
Theme Manager can't be compatible with universal themes.

I got some more feedback on the idea at on my blog:
http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/blogs/flimm/10/02/04/universal-themes-an-idea

A particularly interesting idea was using RDF metadata. Does anyone know
of any other commonly used formats on free desktop systems that use RDF?

I'm wondering what the next step is. Can I create a wiki page on
freedesktop.org? Should I write an implementation of the idea?

David D Lowe