startup-notification patch for APPLICATION_ID

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Mar 5 07:38:24 PST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:

>  That says what it does, but still not why. I assume you want this for some
> kind of a launcher button that will also do other things when the application
> is running. But in this case that launcher already knows, and why should
> others need it?

We presently define "application is running" as "has at least one open
window".  This necessitates mapping X windows to applications.

>  I think it's common in specs to use names rather than filenames, e.g. Icon=
> in .desktop files is just the icon name

True, though I'm sure everyone who's worked with .desktop files in the
real world has written code to strip off those ".png" extensions =)

>  On the other hand, if it is sometimes necessary to include full path, then
> the extension should be there too. In this case however there is a conflict
> with the icon field, which just says icon name and expects it to be found in
> the usual paths, in that case maybe it'd be better to assume the same about
> the .desktop file. So we're back to the actual use case and why this
> information should be provided at all.

It would seem to me to be very unusual to launch a .desktop file not
in the path, but we might as well just use the full path to both
handle that, and make it more obvious it has to be an extant .desktop
file.

>> +The following keys may be provided optionally in a "remove" message:
>> +
>> +  COMPLETED_BY
>> +
>> +          identification of the top-level window in which the launch
>> +          was completed.  The value is the X window ID of the window.
>
>  Why is _NET_STARTUP_ID on such window(s) not sufficient for this?

Hmm...that may be enough actually, good point.  Let me try reworking
my patch stack, I'll get back to you.

Thanks again for the review.