Desktop Entry Specification - ExecuteAs proposition

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 05:54:16 PST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not a big fan of this patch because (especially given what I've written
> above) I don't see a use case.
You personally don't use it doesn't means that others don't need it or
there is no use case.
It's widely used in SuSE and it's required by some Debian/Ubuntu packages, too.
It's especially useful when you have a simple program and the part
dealing with dbus + policykit support is even bigger than the program
itself. That's the use case.
As I said previously, it's a matter of ``choice''. Developers can use
policykit if they want, but don't prevent others from using sudo
simply because you don't use it. Adding this key doesn't prevent
developers from using policykit. It only adds usefulness for those who
need it.

The "No, you don't need that" strategy is not very good for a healthy,
open, and free community.
Issues are raised again and agina simply because people need it. The
best way to deal with this kind issue, IMHO, is not "No, you are
wrong. You don't need that.".

Maybe it's not needed for Gnome and KDE, but our users in other
desktop environments need it. Otherwise we shouldn't get this kind of
feature requests and user feedback.