startup-notification patch for APPLICATION_ID

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Mar 22 15:05:38 PDT 2010

On Thursday 18 of March 2010, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> >  For reasons already mentioned and given the use case, I'd prefer if the
> > spec addition just said:
> > ===
> > +  APPLICATION_ID
> > +
> > +          name of the application desktop file being started, if any,
> > +          without any file path or extension
> > ===
>
> But in the case where a .desktop file is launched outside of the
> default paths, or in the case of duplicates, it's really helpful to
> know the full path.  Think for example of someone who has a system
> installation of Firefox, and also installs a beta into their home
> directory.  That's two mozilla-firefox.desktop files.  Ideally, the
> system would handle this and at least differentiate them internally,
> not treating them as the same app.  (People have asked about this
> particular case already)

 I have trouble coming up with a case where this would actually apply. The
protocol itself should provide all the information needed, so there's no need
to read anything from the .desktop file. So you'd need the .desktop file only
to be able to identify it, but if you don't know about it, you don't need to
identify it anyway.

> Why would we throw away the extra information?

 But anyway, if you want the full path, how about then just 's/name/full
path/' in what I wrote above? If you can't tell if others will be able to
find the .desktop file or not, then it doesn't make sense to guess and
include the path only sometimes.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer