getting real control over where windows go

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sat May 1 04:23:37 PDT 2010

On Friday 30 of April 2010, Britton Kerin wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I appreciate how hard the problem is to get window manager, apps, sessions,
> etc.
> all working together in some coherent way.  I'm sure it will happen some
> day but
> for now I'd like to finally get explicit control over windows somehow.
>
> I'm not even sure where I should be looking to do this.  GNOME seems to
> sometime
> pay attention to window size requests, sometimes not, and each app has its
> own
> command line or other ways to control this.
>
> My question is, is there some basic X window way to control windows and
> react to
> new events?  I don't care if I have to parse something weird.  But what am
> I looking
> for?

 A window manager that gives you enough control to achieve what you want.
There is a number of window managers that are scriptable, FVWM can have quite
complex configuration file, KWin has window-specific settings, etc.
Alternatively you could use tools like wmiface or devilspie to hack what you
want manually, but that may or may not work well enough.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer
 l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org