base dir spec question.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 6 02:10:48 PDT 2010

On Thursday, 2010-05-06, Julien Danjou wrote:
> Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> writes:
> > Not really. XDG_DATA_HOME is your local /usr/share and that's not
> > place for databases. I'd say currently XDG_CONFIG_HOME until we get a
> > proper local version of /var.
>
> XDG_CONFIG_HOME is your local /etc. That's not place for databases
> neither.
>
> So I'd say /tmp.

I prefer you initial assessment.

The database in this case is very likely the application's working data set,
e.g. which file has been played how often, etc.

Unless the contained information is also stored in the media files themselves,
I'd say it qualifies as application data.
If the information is also stored in the media files themselves, thus can be
recovered and is only put in the DB for convenience and faster access, in
which case I think XDG_CACHE_HOME would be more appropriate

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring