base dir spec question.

Sander Jansen s.jansen at gmail.com
Thu May 6 07:28:42 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzkqt at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 06.05.10 09:53, Julien Danjou (julien at danjou.info) wrote:
>
>> Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> writes:
>>
>> > Not really. XDG_DATA_HOME is your local /usr/share and that's not
>> > place for databases. I'd say currently XDG_CONFIG_HOME until we get a
>> > proper local version of /var.
>>
>> XDG_CONFIG_HOME is your local /etc. That's not place for databases
>> neither.
>>
>> So I'd say /tmp.
>
> Never ever put anything in /tmp, unless you have a really good reason
> to. It's not namespaced.
>
> Lennart

So lots of great opinions. I don't think it will fit the cache
category. Ideally it would contain an exact copy of all the tags
found, but since tags may incomplete and some of the information may
scanned from the filename, it won't be 1:1 match. In addition, users
may change the data in the database without writing it back to the tag
as well. It also contains information on like internet streams,
playlist definitions, ratings, playcounts etc. The database is really
a hybrid between config and data, so I think I agree that a local /var
would be the best fit. I think I'm going to stick with XDG_CONFIG_HOME
for now.

Cheers,

Sander