desktop entry proposal: TerminateSafe=true key

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri May 7 07:49:32 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzkqt at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> oom_adj is a way to make the OOM killer smarter. So far only very few
> apps set that, but we certainly could change that.

I think asking application authors to patch their apps to use that
interface is a lot less nice than say asking them to add this key, and
then if we decided that using the extant oom_adj kernel interface was
the way to go, the desktop UI could set oom_adj when launching the app
(after fork, before exec if it's inherited, otherwise take the small
race condition and set it after invocation).

> Hmm, I am not aware that on Linux we have anything like a low-memory
> signal. Please enlighten me on that!

We don't right now.

> So tell me, why exactly do you want this to be duplicated in userspace?

We can work out the exact details of how all the components interact
after the fact.