Alt+Tab and other WM shortcuts not working while pointer is grabbed

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Tue May 18 22:45:18 PDT 2010

I'm really happy to see this discussion. It's important, and if a
resolution comes out of it the world will be a better place :)

Windows uses Ctrl Alt Delete as a magical key combination that is
handled at a lower level than everything else. (Note those “press
ctrl+alt+delete to log in” prompts in corporate setups). Seems a smart
approach to me! Couldn't there be a specific key combination handled
at a low level, like that, which releases a grabbed keyboard /
pointer?

Not nearly as user-friendly and awesome as just being able to handle
any WM shortcuts when the pointer is grabbed, but perhaps a reasonable
stop-gap? (Besides, what do we do with the grabbed pointer in the
former case? At some point the user will need to release it and will
have trouble, WM shortcuts or not, at least as far as I am aware).

Dylan