.desktop file: supported URL schemes key

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Nov 5 09:20:51 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 13:08 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> The recent discussion raises again something that has been a need for a very
> long time.
>
> Some programs support URLs (Exec=foo %u) but not all URLs.
> For instance VLC supports http, ftp, and smb.
> We need to know that we can pass it such URLs, and not others.
>
> I would like to propose a key UrlSchemes in the desktop entry standard,
> as a ;-separated list of supported URL schemes. For instance, for vlc:
> UrlSchemes=http;ftp;smb;

This problem pretty much doesn't exists in GNOME, as:
- either a local FUSE URI will be passed to the program (eg. opening
smb://myserver/myshare/foobar.txt will actually pass the URI version of
"~/.gvfs/myshare on my server/foobar.txt")
- or the supported schemes are listed using the x-schema-handler/ stuff

This means that you would only have problems when launching GNOME apps
under KDE, but not when running in GNOME, XFCE, LXDE (which use gvfs).

Again, that's probably only a problem if KDE didn't get FUSE support for
KIO since the last time I looked at it.