[RFC] XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Tue Nov 9 10:48:34 PST 2010

hi Bill,

> This is the part of the spec that I don't clearly agree with - if it's
> already being automatically cleaned up at session end, additional time-based
> cleanups is likely overkill.

The problem is that people often leave themselves logged in for weeks or
months at a time and that the directory is meant to be located on a
tmpfs.

Mix these two facts together with the fact that buggy applications are
extremely likely to litter the directory with files over time and you
have slowly increasing memory usage.

Cheers