[RFC] XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Wed Nov 10 11:37:56 PST 2010

On Wed, 10.11.10 14:13, Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering (mzkqt at 0pointer.de) said:
> > > And how is this different from /tmp ?
> >
> > It isn't. Most distros clean up that dir already periodically, and with
> > systemd we will unify that and make it a core part of the basic
> > system. systemd will apply the same cleanup rules to /var/run/user as to
> > /tmp.
>
> Would we also set $TMPDIR to $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR for legacy applications
> to use?

Mhmm, I don't think we should.

TMPDIR influences tmpnam(), however that function kinda expects a common
/tmp namespace anyway, so redirecting this is not necessary.

I think we shouldn't break assumptions about $TMPDIR, for example that
it might be useful for communicating with other people.

It's actually one of the things where I believe polyinstantiated /tmp is
actually going wrong: $TMP is shared between users, which has many
negative aspects, but also allows users to communicate with each other.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.