Base Directory Specification and plugins

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Nov 23 11:10:21 PST 2010

Le dimanche 21 novembre 2010 09:28:20 Ryan Lortie, vous avez écrit :
> Having a separate 'lib' directory doesn't automatically solve the
> problem associated with trying to use a home directory that contains
> binaries on multiple different architectures.  It's just a name.

This problem is not specific to architecture-dependent data. If your home is
exported via NFS, applications from different systems (possibly of the same
architecture) may access it. You may in particular end up with conflicting
versions of the same application.

For instance, an older version could systematically 'erase' new settings from
a configuration file that it shares with the newer version, because it does
not understand them those settings. Or it might simply fail to start
completely due to syntactical problems

So I don't really get your point against 'lib'. It seems more like a point
against sharing home directories within an heterogenous set of systems
altogether.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/