New handling for URI scheme handlers

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Oct 5 09:42:11 PDT 2010

Em Terça-feira 05 Outubro 2010, às 18:20:10, Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2010, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The attached patch is changes to the shared-mime-info spec to mention
> > the use of x-scheme-handler/* mime-types.
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> i suggested to use the mimetype database in a very similar way for default
> applications (default terminal, web browser, etc). this idea was denied
> because it was "misusing the mimetype database for non-mimetype data". if
> this does indeed become part of the fd.o spec, can we also add something
> in there for default apps at the same time that uses it in the
> same/similar manner?
>
> if consistency reigns and this addition does not achieve consensus
> approval, we do have .protocol files in KDE already and it would be nice
> (and sensible) to use something that already exists instead of reinventing
> new wheels of incompatibility.

KDE would require changes anyway. Two reasons that come to mind already:

1) KDE 4 moved the files from /usr/share/services to /usr/share/kde4/services
to avoid clashing with the KDE 3 settings

2) the same .protocol files store KIO-related information, like which ioslave
to launch for doing data transfers and whether the protocol/implementation
supports certain features (server-side moves, hard linking, etc.)

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2010  -  Munich Oct 11-13  -  San Francisco Nov 1-3
For more information and to register: http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2010