Fwd: I found it useful to generalize .local

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:19:08 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at verizon.net> wrote:

> That's a reasonable idea but not really part of increasing the "desktop"
> functionality. The ability to install packages to ~/.local is a distribution
> / personal consideration.

I suppose that's true, it doesn't directly effect desktop
functionality. Yet I think it's not unreasonable to consider some
broader ideas beyond the immediate desktop to gain indirect benefits
that further free-desktop goals.

In fact, I actually think just saying "you can think of ~/.local/ as
the per-user variation of /usr or /usr/local" in the documentation
would go a long way in clarifying the spec.