Relative paths in .desktop files

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Apr 11 06:08:50 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 15:34 +0800, PCMan wrote:
> An easy workaround might be like this:
[...]
> Exec=%k/installer.sh
>
> The field code %k will be expanded to the location of desktop entry file.
> This can solve your problem, in a more or less dirty way.
I tried this out (Nautilus 2.32.0 in Ubuntu 10.10) and unless I did
something wrong it failed to work.  Among the past threads I found
discussing this, this posting by Waldo Bastian in 2006 -
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-August/006885.html -
sounds like he was happy with the idea of relative paths for icons:
[quote]
> Prefix with ./ sounds good:
>
> * If it starts with "/" it's an absolute path
> * If it starts with "./" is's a relative path
> * Everything else is a themed icon name
[end quote]
How would other (particularly GNOME) people today see this (for
executables too), and if favourably, where should I look for the code
which Nautilus uses to process desktop files?  I realise of course that
what I have in mind isn't quite the way .desktop files are used, but it
is sufficiently close that it seems to me silly to do something
separate.

Regards,

Michael

P.S. PCMan, I hope that you don't mind my CC-ing this back to the list.

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Michael Thayer
[...]
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande