The text of my bug against "registered categories".

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Sat Aug 6 10:07:59 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 17:30 -0500, Paul Elliott wrote:

> it is easy for any off the top of one's head to think of important
> areas of software that is just not covered by the main categories,
> AudioVideo, Audio, Video, Development, Education, Game, Graphics,
> Network, Office, Settings, System, or Utility .

The goal is not to provide an ontology that is complete. If there is no
open source ship navigation software then no category is needed.

Instead of mentioning (e.g. in bug 39785) that if specific sofware were
to be available for an open source desktop it would be misclassified, my
guess is that if you can name, say, a dozen widely-used open source
packages that would fit best into a proposed new category you'll get
more traction.

Implementations are free to support additional categories. The document
[1] only gives categories that every conforming desktop environment must
(in the IETF sense of must) support.

(disclaimer: I am not personally involved with this work)

Liam