Document templates specification

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 12:20:21 PST 2011

On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 06:45:17 PM Simon McVittie wrote:
> In each of those locations, look for:
>
> * *.desktop: it's a KDE-style complex template
>
> * any other file: it's a GNOME-style raw file

This is actually exactly what KDE does exactly. It supports both "translated
system templates coming from a .desktop file" and "raw files added by the user
directly there".

Isn't it much simpler to let desktop files point elsewhere (like we do with
.source, but this could be called anything, doesn't really have to be
standardized) than the 3-step algorithm to try and match "which raw files are
already taken by a desktop files and which ones are not"?

> Feature #1: Negative .desktop files

That's what Hidden=true is about, no need for a new way to model this.
Make a local .desktop file with the same name as the global one, and put
Hidden=true into it, and the system will treat it as it it didn't exist.
That's the standard already for application desktop files.

> Feature #2: Desktop environment specific templates.

OK.