mimetypes for directories?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Feb 7 02:48:17 PST 2011

On Sunday 06 February 2011, Křištof Želechovski wrote:
> Dnia sobota, 5 lutego 2011 o 13:05:55 Stef Bon napisał(a):
> > 2011/2/5 Křištof Želechovski <giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl>:
> > > Custom media types are fine for virtual directories that do not exist
> > > on disk. For directories that actually exist on disk but require
> > > special treatment from the desktop, use role attribute.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen this answer from you earlier.
> >
> > How do I use this role attribute??
>
> type="inode/directory;role=blah.blah.blah.blah"

This is not really supported by shared-mime-info implementations though.

At least not in KDE, but I haven't heard about it being used in other
environments either. I'd recommend sticking to subclasses. They are fine for
directories that do exist on disk, too, as long as there's some code somewhere
to give them that mimetype...