XML Translations With ITS

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Tue Jan 18 07:45:21 PST 2011

Hi folks,

I've been working on a translation tool called itstool. It
handles PO-file-based translations for XML documents like
XHTML, DocBook, and Mallard. All the logic is in declarative
rules from the W3C Internationalization Tag Set (ITS).

W3C ITS Recommendation:
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/

A blog post about itstool:
http://blogs.gnome.org/shaunm/2010/10/27/xml-translations-with-its/

Gitorious repository for itstool:
http://gitorious.org/itstool/itstool

This has a number of advantages over how Gnome currently
handles XML document translations:

1) New formats are easier to define.
2) It easily handles XML vocabulary mixing; for example,
putting MathML inside DocBook.
3) ITS rules and attributes can be inlined in the document
to override the defaults; for example, to mark particular
code blocks as untranslatable.

Is this something that other freedesktop.org projects are
interested in? I've been using gitorious, but that doesn't
give me a bug tracker or a place to make releases. There's
nothing at all Gnome-specific about itstool.

Thanks,
Shaun