XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Tue Jul 19 06:08:31 PDT 2011

On 07/14/2011 11:36 AM, Michael Terry wrote:
> Hello!  I've seen the idea of a XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment
> variable tossed around a few times on this mailing list, but I don't
> see it in any spec.

So XFCE and LXDE are already using it, xdg-utils wants to use it, and
Unity provides a use case for its adoption in GNOME libraries.

Looking at their code, XFCE and LXDE do different things when it's set
to the empty string, but that would still match my suggested "undefined
behavior" for that case.

Any thoughts on the addition of a "DesktopName" key for XSession
.desktop files?

Is the next step to add my behavior proposal as a mini-spec on the XDG
site or is this email thread sufficient to define use of the variable?
(I don't think any changes have been proposed from the original email.)

-mt